We no longer support Ubuntu-based installations for Yodeck. We only accept inquiries for custom projects that specifically need support for PC-based deployments for thousands of screens. The following instructions NO LONGER WORK!
We provide FREE Raspberry Pi Players with Annual subscriptions, so it is recommended to get a free Player instead!
Setup Ubuntu LTS 14.04
You can setup your own Ubuntu installation and install (or uninstall) Yodeck on it. To do so, first setup Ubuntu. Here are some basic instruction to do so.
- Download Ubuntu LTS 14.04 Minimal CD (64-bit). Get it here [37MB] (MD5: 7297321c2fa6424417a548c85edd6e98, SHA1: e1e074b4302898698977c08013e0afe5c06245e2) or see other options. (important: 32-bit fails to update properly)
- Install Ubuntu LTS 14.04 Minimal CD (64-bit) with the following options (you will be needing network access to perform the installation):
- For locale/keyboard/etc, use `us` or `us:intl`
- Hostname: `yodeck`
- User Account: `yodeck` (use password `yodeck`)
- Encrypt home directory: No
- Timezone: `UTC` (end of list)
- Guided Partitioning: Use full disk (**no** LVM and **no** encryption)
- No automatic updates
- Do not select ANY additional package from the list presented
- Install GRUB to the MBR
- System clock set to UTC: Yes
Install Yodeck using the Yodeck repo
- Add yodeck repository (`stable` distribution), by running as root:
- echo 'deb http://repo.yodeck.com/ubuntu/ stable/' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yodeck.list
- apt-get update
- Install yodeck package:
- apt-get -y --force-yes install yodeck
- Make sure mpv works in your installation:
- wget http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/videos/big_buck_bunny.mp4
- mpv big_buck_bunny.mp4
(use Ctrl+C to stop playback)
- If video does not work, you need to specify a video driver to mpv.
- To get a list of valid drivers: mpv --vo=help
- To set a driver, e.g. xv: echo 'vo=xv' > /root/.mpv/config
- rm big_buck_bunny.mp4
- Within 5-10 minutes, you should see a message, urging you to register your monitor in Yodeck.com. Follow the instructions and you will be up and running in no time.