To properly use a LED display, you must perform some calculations and configurations.
Step 1: Setting the DVI resolution
First, you must identify what resolution your LED display (or LED board controller, or LED sender card) requires as input. This is usually called the "DVI resolution".
To find out the resolutions supported, you have two options:
- You can connect your display to a PC or laptop and see the resolutions it supports through the menus of your computer.
- Check the manual or documentation of the LED display and find the supported DVI resolutions.
We will use two examples:
- Case A: a LED display requiring a 1920x1080 DVI resolution input
- Case B: a LED display requiring a 1440x900 DVI resolution input
Step 2: Identify the content area resolution
Large LED displays usually have a low resolution, much lower than the DVI resolution expected as input. LED displays just use the top-left corner of the input for displaying content. For Yodeck to properly manage the LED display, we need to get the LED display resolution and use it to calculate configuration parameters.
For our two examples, let's say that the content is in the top-left corner, and the input is
- Case A: the LED display has 320x240 resolution (aspect ratio: 4:3)
- Case B: the LED display has 256x256 resolution (aspect ratio 1:1)
Step 3: Determining Show size
Based on the content are resolution, you have to use a specific aspect ratio for your Show in Yodeck. Yodeck supports a variety of aspect ratios, and you must find the aspect ratio that matches your content area. If this ratio does not exactly match your resolution, then you can define your own Custom Ratio.
So, for our two examples, let's say that the content is in the top-left corner, then the best aspect ratio for the Show would be
- Case A: select
the 4:3 aspect ratio for the
Show (perfect match with aspect ratio of Case A LED display content area 320x240) -- alternatively, you can create a new Custom Ratio 4:3 with 320x240 resolution
- Case B: create a new Custom Ratio 1:1 with 256x256 resolution
Step 4: Configuring the Player
First, you should calculate the dimensions of the DVI resolution that you must "disable", relative to the Show.
- Case A: you need to "disable" 1600 pixels (1920-320) on the right, and 840 pixels (1080-240) on the bottom
- Case B: you need to "disable" 1184 pixels (1440-256) on the right, and 644 pixels (900-256) on the bottom
- Go to the "Monitors" list and edit the monitor in question.
- Click on the "Advanced" tab.
- Make sure the "Overscan" toggle is set to "ON".
- In the "Overscan" text fields, you will have to add some parameters detailed after these steps.
- After you are finished, click the "Save" button.
- The Player will reboot. If you can't see anything for 5' (not even the Yodeck startup logo), then you can contact our Support Team for help.
- The parameters described below should be entered.
Step 5: Create and Use Show
Create the Show you want (using the aspect ratio from Step 3) and assign it to the Monitor. Click "Push to Players?" to push all changes, and you are all set!
If you have any difficulties setting this up, please contact our Support Team and we will help you out.